Thank you to this wonderful team for helping to make my dreams come true!
For those who know me i'm all about efficiency and getting the most value for my time. After getting a few quotes from industry professionals, total budgets for an ecommerce photoshoot could range from $3,000 to $30,000. (Studio rental, light and equipment rental, photographer time, models, make-up artists, hair, creative director, props...dizzy yet?)
Being a start-up brand even the low end of this was out of reach. However, I knew getting top quality photos would be key to represent my brand properly online. So to minimize costs (I kept it under $1000 total) I sought out emerging talent and served as the creative director and producer. I also made it a goal to get Product and Lifestyle shots all together.
I was fortunate enough to find talented photographers, models, and makeup artists through networking to collaborate with me along with supportive friends to help me execute day of. Hopefully, you also appreciate what a success it turned out to be!
A Behind the Scenes Look At the Photoshoot
The day was better than I could have dreamed of and so much fun but I wanted to share a few tips I learned.
- As with anything Proper Prior Planning is crucial. I suggest creating a vision or mood board on Pinterest or in my case I used Powerpoint to tell a brief story about the brand, a schedule of what was expected for the day and provided examples of shots I was hoping to get.
- The saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words" comes to mind
- Don't forget to add prep and clean up time - You're going to want plenty of time to steam and prep your clothes
- Each model will need 30-45 minutes for make up prep
- If there are certain things you envision in shots pack it up with you and bring it to the studio
- I spent a lot of time struggling on if I should buy something for the shoot but let me save you the struggle. BUY IT so you are prepared, keep the tags on and return anything you don't use.
- Don't forget to feed yourself. It's easy to get caught up in the excitement but your health is more important.